Post Page Advertisement [Top]

The Value of Finding a Mentor
Craig J Selby

I started my career far too long ago – 1993 to be precise – that’s over 25 years ago. I don’t feel that old personally, but professionally, yes. I have had one major career change during that quarter century – but both career trajectories overlap somewhat, so it’s hard to say that I truly jumped ship in any true respect.

What I have come to learn as my career has developed, is the importance that having a mentor, or mentors play in career development. Be it official, or “by-the- way”, mentors help shape our decision-making processes, and invariably teach us valuable industry lessons (be them good or bad lessons – yes, I screwed up quite a bit; still do sometimes – but that’s being human) so that we can develop, and ultimately, pass on the baton to the next generation as we rise through the ranks.


Source - www.bricksandclicks2.org.uk
In 1993, I started my career at the University of Auckland. I spent seven years involved in teaching at the University – combinations of part-time and full-time – and the experience I garnered there set me up for an amazing career in educational development and management; and later, in consultancy. By default, I had a mentor. I didn’t know it at the time – I was too green to realize that this person was strategic in guiding my career development. But what I did realize was the opportunity to learn and develop, pushing boundaries and not taking no for an answer when a roadblock appeared – and her perpetual support as I pushed and pushed to develop. These lessons, some learnt hard along the way, stick with me today, but have all helped me to strengthen my professional credentials.

I moved on. I got other jobs. I went private sector. I became management. I hired staff. But I still had this person subtly nudging me from the sidelines. Till today, I still regard this person as my greatest mentor, and dedicate a lot of my drive to push the envelope directly to her and her continuous encouragement and support back in the day. A friendship which has lasted over twenty-five years is an amazing feat in itself.

Source - www.michaelhaupt.com
A mentor needs to be fuel to our fire. Maybe they don’t know it, but those sparks within us can engulf into something greater when we have their subtle guidance. The impossible maybe becomes possible. The hard becomes … well, still hard, but you’re never walking alone!

So, I came across this article on entrepreneur.com – Three Tips for Finding a Mentor! It’s never too late – we all need guidance – we just have to acknowledge that a sounding board is in fact good for us. The tips are practical – that’s the idea; but they are also realistic. We can’t walk through life alone – why should we walk through our career alone?

It’s time to step up to the plate, to use horrible baseball terminology, and look within yourself – could you use a mentor, or, could you be an awesome mentor to someone else? I hope that through the leadership roles I have had over the last 20 years that I too have been a mentor to others.

Well, here’s the very brief article which got me thinking (or, is that rambling) – thanks Adam & Jordan Bornstein. Reflect on what it says, and be honest to yourself; do you want, or can you be, a mentor?

Source - www.thepersonalbrandprofessor.com
Three Tips for Finding a Mentor

Mentors are an invaluable resource -- both in business and in life. Yet, it can be hard to know how to begin that relationship, and how to foster it. The tips below should help.

1. Be Useful to Them, Too.

The Entrepreneur Richard Rosenblatt, CEO of WhipClip, former founder of Demand Media, Intermix

The Mentor Gordon Crawford, media investor

“A mutual friend introduced us, and so I went to his office and pitched him on my company at the time, Intermix. Gordy was an expert in media, but not tech and internet media, so I brought him up to speed and introduced him to dozens of important entrepreneurs. We became friends -- and because he was more experienced building startups, I turned to him when I faced challenges and needed advice.”

2. Don’t Pick the Obvious Choice.

The Entrepreneur Jeff Kushmerek, VP of professional services at Virgin Pulse

The Mentor Diane Gordon, SVP of customer care at Brainshark

“Many people seek out the most successful person they can -- but that’s a mistake. The best mentors are not loud, outspoken and quote-ready. They’re those who gain respect among peers -- because if they’ve helped others, they might just help you. That’s how I connected with Diane: We used to work together, and I admired how she made others feel comfortable.”

3. Make it Natural.

The Entrepreneur Jen Mojo, founder of Paper Dolls

The Mentor JB Williams, marketing for Docusign, Microsoft, Starbucks

“We had a joint project, and I was as vested in his success as he was in mine. During that time, he became a trusted sounding board and was always asking me to be clear about what I wanted out of our individual conversations. There was no feeling of hierarchy or talk of an actual mentorship. We built the relationship naturally and unofficially.”

Yep, it’s a short article indeed! But relevant!

Although this post is primarily dedicated to Dr Josta Heyligers – thank you for over 25 years of friendship, support and encouragement; it is also dedicated to a few other professionals who have taught me a lot – Professor Barbara Grant, Associate-Professor RJ Warwick Neville, Lynn Couch, Djuanne Walker, and my business partner Farrell Tan (just don’t tell him, ok)!

I hope that I too have returned their kindness in some way.

So, what are you waiting for? 

Signing off,
Craig
__________ 
(https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/274144?utm_source=Latest&utm_medium=site&utm_campaign=iScroll)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib