Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Starting today, we will feature interviews with a number of popular local bloggers as part of our Blogger-of-the-Month series. 

January introduces Michelle Lim from Mishventurer.com, a travel and lifestyle blog that has been around for a little over a decade. Mishventurer is Michelle’s own personal blog where she shares her travelling adventures, tips, guides, reviews, and travel-related information with her readers.
How did you first get into blogging? Did the idea came out of the blue, or did it come after a thoughtful consideration? Was there a blogger who inspired you to start your blog?

I first started blogging in 2006 – on Xanga – to talk about my experience in National Service (yes, I was drafted!) so that my friends could see photos and read about it. Because there wasn’t Facebook yet, it was something that we all used to keep up with one another. I didn’t even know the term ‘bloggers’ yet, just that I have a Xanga page. Of course, it grew from there to me sharing minute details of my day-to-day and things that I bought. Little did I know I was writing my first product review then and there.

How can you describe your blogging style with regards to your content?

I blog to convey a message about an experience or something that I love. I rarely write ‘rants’ or complain posts, but rather to talk about something to enrich the reader. That has since evolved into lifestyle and travel content – two things I am passionate about.

What was your greatest failure in blogging and what did you learn from that? On the contrary, what was your biggest achievement? How did it affect how you are now?

My biggest failure was probably in writing too many categories and trying to please everyone. I blogged about everything under the sun and that was a mistake because ‘when you speak to everyone, you speak to no one’. Biggest achievement was realising that and creating a niche for myself – which had led to numerous sponsorship programs from big brands.
What do you think is the best thing a blogger can give to his / her readers?

The value of knowledge. Product reviews aside, I draw satisfaction from blogging about my travels where I’ve received many responses from people who were looking for info on a certain destination – thanking me for bottling up the most important info in one blog post.

How do you keep generating material / content for your blog?

I draw inspiration from my travels and things I believe in. It’s not always easy, but I believe reading more blogs also helps in understanding what audiences love, and you can repurpose ideas to suit your own blog/personality.

What has been your strategy for creating visibility to your blog?

Social media is king. That’s my only strategy (though there is definitely more that one can do).

What are some of the common reactions you would get when you mention that you are a blogger? Are there any misconceptions about blogging that you want to rectify?

Most people think that bloggers live a glamorous life of events and free stuff. The misconception here is that it isn’t all glamour and fun – the blogosphere has its own drama and conflicts too, and getting free stuff does not help pay the bills.
What would you say is the greatest satisfaction derived from blogging?

Having an online diary that can jog my memory whenever I forget something. That, and when people tell me I have a beautiful blog (because I spent some money & a lot of time to make it look pretty!)

Do you have any specific goals for your blog?

I hope that my blog would be a platform to one day help me work with bigger brands and people who share my philosophy & passions. Oh, and the ultimate goal is to have fun doing it, of course!

How has your blog evolved through the years, and where do you see it evolving to in the future?

It started out as a blog that talks about everything to a blog that has found its niche, and hence, its true voice.

Image Source:
(1) www.mishventurer.com
(2) www.communiquepr.com
(3) www.enterprisealive.ie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib