Post Page Advertisement [Top]


“What are you studying ah?”

“International Relations – and it doesn’t have much to do with Publ-“

“What is that ah? So you do PR work ah?”

“…not really……”

This question has been asked numerous times, and eventually I started wondering what PR work was. I knew it involved dealing with public relations… (duh) but generally speaking, the PR field was rather foreign to me (still is).

I’m currently pursuing a degree in International Relations at the University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus, and will be tossing my graduation hat next year. Things tend to work in peculiar ways, and somehow I’ve found myself as an intern at Orchan for my “summer” break.

I am still contemplating if the decision to do an internship with Orchan for the summer was correct. Unlike some universities, it isn’t compulsory for me (my course, at least) to do any internship programmes, and I could’ve just wasted away my summer, much like I did during the interval between my first and second year.

After receiving an email from the university about an internship opportunity at Orchan, I decided to do some research of my own. The music from the website scared the living hell out of me as I wasn’t expecting any, so we were off to a great start. Further Googling revealed an impressive portfolio, and I hastily wrote my cover letter and resume.

Then I stopped.

This was something extremely unfamiliar, and had little relevance to what I was studying. I was writing an application to dive into unchartered realms, going out of my comfort zone. My only working experience was as a part-time promoter, something I’d stuck with sporadically for close to three years. This was different, and I wasn’t ready for different.

A week went by with the drafted email left untouched. I explored other options, organizations which were more directly related with my degree choice. Then a question hit me – am I more worried about trying something different? Or more worried about being jobless for four months? The decision was simple. “Send”.

Fast-forward a month, and I’m into the third week of my internship, with the office cat on my lap, lunch on my mind, and had the pleasure of getting to know a bunch of funny, friendly personalities. Different doesn’t seem so bad after all. 
A fruit that Craig and I both enjoy very much :P
Source - kampoengilmu.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib